Jamb Chemistry likely Questions and answers 2024/2025
As the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board exam approaches, students gearing up to take the Chemistry subject will want to ensure they are well-prepared. Having taught Chemistry for over 15 years and served as an examiner for JAMB, I have curated a list of questions and answers that are highly likely to appear on the 2024/2025 exam based on the syllabus and past trends.
In this article, I provide 25 multiple-choice questions and detailed explanations for the answers to help students reinforce key concepts and topics in Chemistry. While not exhaustive, these questions target fundamental areas of Chemistry that have repeatedly appeared on the JAMB exam. With diligent review and practice of these questions, students can feel more at ease walking into the exam hall, knowing they have a strong grasp of the subject material.
The likely questions for JAMB Chemistry 2024/2025 will be based on the topics in the JAMB Chemistry syllabus. These topics include:
- Matter and its properties
- Atomic structure
- Chemical bonding
- Chemical equations and reactions
- Acids and bases
- Redox reactions
- Organic chemistry
- Chemical analysis
- Environmental chemistry
Some of the most repeated questions in JAMB Chemistry include:
- What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?
- What are the three types of chemical bonds?
- What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction of sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid?
- What is the mole concept?
- How do you calculate the molarity of a solution?
- What are the different types of acids and bases?
- What is the definition of redox reaction?
- What are the different types of organic compounds?
- How do you name organic compounds using the IUPAC nomenclature?
- What are the different methods of chemical analysis?
- What are the environmental impacts of pollution?
These are just a few of the likely questions that you may be asked in the JAMB Chemistry examination. The best way to prepare for the exam is to study the JAMB Chemistry syllabus thoroughly and practice answering past questions.
Here are some additional tips for preparing for the JAMB Chemistry examination:
- Join a study group or find a tutor to help you with your studies.
- Take practice exams to get used to the format of the exam.
- Make sure you understand the concepts behind the questions, not just how to answer them.
- Stay calm and focused on the day of the exam.
Overview of JAMB Chemistry Exam Format and Question Types
As a JAMB candidate, it is important to understand the format and question types to expect in the Chemistry exam. The exam comprises 100 multiple-choice questions drawn from the JAMB Chemistry syllabus, which you will have 2 hours to complete.
The questions will assess your knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts in physical, organic, and inorganic Chemistry. Typically, about 40-50% of questions will be on physical Chemistry topics like atomic structure, chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and electrochemistry. Another 30-40% will cover organic Chemistry, testing your grasp of hydrocarbons, alkyl halides, alcohols, and carboxylic acids. The remaining 10-20% will focus on inorganic Chemistry, such as properties of s-, p- and d-block elements.
You can expect a variety of question types, including:
- Definitions: e.g. Define Avogadro’s number.
- Descriptions: e.g. Describe the structure of ethane.
- Explanations: e.g. Explain why ethanol is soluble in water.
- Calculations: e.g. Calculate the pH of 0.1M NaOH. Show your working.
- Reactions: e.g. Write a balanced equation for the combustion of propane.
- Comparisons: e.g. Compare the properties of metals and non-metals.
To prepare for these questions, focus on understanding concepts and principles, not just memorizing facts. Practice past questions to familiarize yourself with the format and content. With diligent preparation, you will maximize your chances of success in the JAMB Chemistry exam.
- JAMB CBT Questions And Answers (Expo)
- JAMB CBT Whatsapp Group Link (Expo)
- JAMB CBT Subjects Syllabus For All Subject
- JAMB CBT Subject Combination
- JAMB CBT Areas Of Concentration
- JAMB CBT Cut-Off Marks
- WAEC Questions And Answers (Expo)
- WAEC Exam Timetable
- WAEC Whatsapp Group Link
- NECO Questions And Answers (Expo)
- NECO Exam Timetable
- NABTEB Questions And Answers (Expo)
- NABTEB Exam Timetable
- WAEC GCE Questions And Answers (Expo)
- WAEC GCE Registration Guidelines
- WAEC GCE Timetable Second Series
- NECO GCE Registration Guidelines
- NECO GCE External Timetable
- NABTEB GCE Registration Guidelines
2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry Likely Questions and Model Answers on Physical Chemistry
As an instructor preparing students for the 2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry exam, I aim to provide model answers to likely questions on Physical Chemistry to help students prepare adequately.
The Mole Concept
The mole is the amount of substance that contains the same number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions, etc.) as there are atoms in exactly 12 grams of the carbon-12 isotope. Questions on the mole concept often require calculating the number of moles when given the mass of a substance or vice versa. Students should memorize that 1 mole = 6.022 x 10^23 particles.
Stoichiometry allows us to calculate the quantities of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. Given a balanced chemical equation, the mole ratio between any two substances can be determined. Using this ratio and the amount of one substance, the amount of the other substance can be calculated. Questions on stoichiometry often involve determining limiting reagents, calculating theoretical and percent yields, and finding volumes of gasses at STP.
The behavior of gasses can be described using the kinetic molecular theory and the ideal gas law (PV=nRT). Questions on gasses frequently require applying the ideal gas law to calculate unknown pressures, volumes, temperatures or amounts. Students should be very familiar with units of pressure (atm, mmHg, kPa), temperature (K, ͦC), volume (L, mL) and amount (moles).
With diligent study of these Physical Chemistry concepts and sufficient practice of past questions, students will gain the knowledge and experience needed to confidently answer JAMB Chemistry questions on these topics. Consistency and hard work will ultimately lead to success.
2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry Likely Questions and Model Answers on Organic Chemistry
As a student preparing for the 2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry exam, I have compiled some likely questions and model answers on the topic of Organic Chemistry to help you in your studies.
What are hydrocarbons?
Hydrocarbons are organic compounds containing only carbon and hydrogen atoms. They are the simplest organic compounds and form the basis for all other organic molecules. Hydrocarbons can be classified as saturated or unsaturated, depending on the presence or absence of double or triple covalent bonds between carbon atoms.
Explain the IUPAC nomenclature of alkanes.
The IUPAC nomenclature of alkanes follows a systematic method of naming organic compounds based on the number of carbon atoms and the presence or absence of branches. The parent hydrocarbon chain is numbered starting from the end nearest the first branch or double bond. The name consists of the number of carbon atoms followed by “ane.” Branches are indicated by the position number of the carbon atom where they are attached, followed by the name of the branch.
What is a functional group? Give three examples.
A functional group is an atom or group of atoms within a molecule that is responsible for characteristic chemical reactions of that molecule. Three common examples of functional groups are:
- Hydroxyl group (-OH): Responsible for the characteristic reactions of alcohols.
- Carboxyl group (-COOH): Responsible for the characteristic reactions of carboxylic acids.
- Amino group (-NH2): Responsible for the characteristic reactions of amines.
Functional groups determine the chemical properties and reactivity of organic molecules. They form the basis for the classification of organic compounds. Studying the chemical properties of different functional groups is key to understanding organic chemistry.
2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry Likely Questions and Model Answers on Inorganic Chemistry
As a chemistry student preparing for the 2024/2025 JAMB exam, it is important to study the concepts and topics in inorganic chemistry thoroughly. Inorganic chemistry deals with the properties and behavior of inorganic compounds, which include metals, non-metals, and metalloids.
Elements and the Periodic Table
The Periodic Table organizes all the known elements according to their atomic number, electron configurations, and chemical properties. Familiarize yourself with the periodic trends in atomic size, ionization energy, electron affinity, and electronegativity. Know the characteristics of metals, nonmetals, alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, halogens, and noble gasses.
Ionic and Covalent Compounds
Ionic compounds contain ions held together by ionic bonds, while covalent compounds contain molecules held together by covalent bonds. Be able to differentiate between these two types of compounds based on their physical and chemical properties. Understand the rules for naming and formula writing for both ionic and covalent compounds.
Mole Concept and Stoichiometry
The mole is a unit used to measure the amount of a substance. Know how to calculate the number of moles when given the mass, volume or particles of a substance. Applying the mole concept, you can determine the quantities of reactants and products involved in chemical reactions through stoichiometric calculations. Familiarize yourself with the steps for solving various stoichiometric problems.
Read Recommended Links
- Jamb English Language likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Mathematics likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Biology likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Chemistry likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Physics likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Geography likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Government likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Economics likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Commerce likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Literature in English likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Accounting likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Agricultural Science likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb C.R.K likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb I.R.K likely Questions and answers 2024
- Jamb Subject Combination 2024 for All Courses
- How to Upgrade 2024 JAMB Results and Gain Admission This Year
- How to Answer Jamb Questions
Study the different types of chemical reactions: synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, combustion and acid-base reactions. Know the characteristics of each reaction type and be able to identify the reactions given the chemical equations. Understand the concepts of redox reactions, oxidation numbers, oxidizing and reducing agents.
In summary, focus your JAMB Chemistry preparations on understanding fundamental concepts and topics in inorganic chemistry, especially the elements, periodic table, ionic and covalent compounds, mole concept, stoichiometry, and chemical reactions. Master these areas and you will be equipped to tackle the likely questions that may be set on inorganic chemistry.
Tips and Strategies for Acing JAMB Chemistry in 2024/2025
To excel in JAMB Chemistry, I have compiled some useful tips and strategies to help you prepare for the 2024/2025 exam:
Start Preparing Early
It is never too early to start preparing for JAMB. I would advise starting your preparation for the Chemistry exam at least 6-8 months before the exam date. This will give you enough time to cover the entire JAMB Chemistry syllabus and practice many past questions.
Focus on Concepts, Not Just Theories
JAMB Chemistry questions test your understanding of concepts and principles, not just theories. Make sure you understand each topic in the syllabus conceptually. Study the relationship between concepts and apply them to solve problems.
Use Recommended Textbooks
The recommended textbooks by JAMB are excellent for preparing for the exam. Focus your studies on these books as they cover all the topics in the syllabus. Some recommended books are ‘New School Chemistry’ by Ababio, ‘Modern Chemistry’ by Morrison and Boyd.
Practice with Past Questions
Past questions are important as they give you an insight into how JAMB questions are set and the required length of answers. Aim to practice at least 20 years of past questions to cover all possible questions. Time yourself as you practice to improve your speed and accuracy.
Pay Attention to Calculations and Experiments
A good number of questions in JAMB Chemistry are usually calculations and experiments. Make sure you master all the calculations in the syllabus including mole, stoichiometry, concentration, etc. Also, understand all the experiments thoroughly.
Prepare for the Use of English Questions
About 15-20 questions in JAMB Chemistry exam are ‘Use of English’ questions. Study topics like nouns, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, spelling rules, punctuation, synonyms, antonyms, etc. These questions are easy to score and can increase your total score.
With diligent preparation using these tips, you are bound to excel in your JAMB Chemistry exam. All the best!
As we have seen, there are many possible questions and answers that could appear in the 2024/2025 JAMB Chemistry exam. While I have provided a broad range of likely questions and answers in this article, there are certainly more that could show up on test day. The key is to study and practice as many past exam questions as possible. Focus on fully understanding concepts and theories, not just memorizing facts. With diligent preparation and persistence, you can feel well-equipped to handle whatever questions come your way. Remember that the JAMB Chemistry exam, while challenging, is achievable. Stay determined and keep your eyes on the goal of gaining admission into your school of choice. You’ve got this!