2023 JAMB English Language Syllabus & Recommended Textbooks
So, you’re about to write the JAMB English Language paper.
Or maybe you’re just curious what the exam will entail. In either case, you’re in the right place! We’ve got a copy of the English Language syllabus for 2023/2024, as well as a list of recommended textbooks.
Overview of JAMB English Language Syllabus
In this article, we shall take a look at the JAMB English Language syllabus for the year 2023/2024. We shall also look at the recommended textbooks to be used for the examination.
The JAMB English Language syllabus is as follows:
- The English Language: Its Use and Abuse
- Writing Skills
- Oral Communication
The recommended textbooks are as follows:
- The English Language: Its Use and Abuse by A.C. Arinze
- Writing Skills by Uchenna Onwuegbuzie & Anthonia Obi
- Oral Communication by Chinedu Nwankwo
Types of Questions in the English Language Exam
The English Language exam will have three types of questions. These are:
- Objective Questions: These questions will test your knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Subjective Questions: These questions will require you to write a paragraph or essay in response to a question.
- Creative Writing Questions: These questions will ask you to write a story, poem or letter in response to a given prompt.
Recommended Textbooks for English Exams
Jamb has released the English Language syllabus for the 2023/2024 academic year. In line with this, we have compiled a list of recommended textbooks for you.
The following textbooks are recommended for use in Jamb English Language examinations:
- Oxford Modern English Grammar
- Objective First Certificate Student’s Book with Answers and Audio CD
Areas of Focus for JAMB English Language Exams
Here’s a breakdown of the areas you’ll need to focus on for the JAMB English language exams:
- Reading Comprehension: This section will test your ability to understand what you read. You’ll be given a passage to read, and then asked questions about it. The passages will get progressively harder, so it’s important to practice your speed reading skills.
- Use of English: This section tests your knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, and sentence structure. You’ll be given a passage to read, and then asked questions about it. The passages will get progressively harder, so it’s important to practice your speed reading skills.
- Writing: This section tests your ability to write coherently and concisely. You’ll be given a prompt, and then asked to write an essay. Make sure to practice your essay-writing skills before the exam.
- Oral: This section tests your ability to speak coherently and fluently. You’ll be given a prompt, and then asked to speak for two minutes. Make sure to practice your public speaking skills before the exam.
How to Prepare for the JAMB English Language Exam
The JAMB English Language exam is not something you should take lightly. After all, your success or failure in the exam can determine whether or not you get into the university of your choice.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for the JAMB English Language exam:
- Start studying early: The earlier you start studying, the better. This will give you enough time to cover all the areas that will be tested.
- Get a good night’s sleep: It is important to get enough sleep before the exam so that you can be alert and focused.
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Eating a healthy breakfast will help you think more clearly and do your best on the exam.
- Arrive early: Arriving early will help you relax and focus on the task at hand.
- Do a practice test: Doing a practice test will help you become familiar with the format of the exam and the types of questions that will be asked.
Tips and Strategies to Ace the English Exam
Here are some tips and strategies to help you ace the English exam:
- Practice, practice, practice! Take as many practice exams as you can get your hands on. The more familiar you are with the format of the exam, the better you’ll do.
- Make sure you understand the concepts that will be tested. Get a good grasp of grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. If you need help, there are plenty of resources out there, including books, websites, and apps.
- Time yourself when you’re practicing. The English exam is timed, so you need to make sure you can finish all the questions in the allotted time. This will help you pacing on test day.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to study. Start studying early so you can gradually build up your knowledge and confidence.
With these tips in mind, you’re well on your way to acing the English exam!
So there you have it, the English Language syllabus for JAMB 2023. We hope this guide has been of help. Remember to always consult your teachers and textbooks for more information on the topic. As always, best of luck with your studies!