African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Early-Career Research Fellowship is now accepting applications – With support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) is inviting applications for six (6) Early Career Research Fellowship positions. The six-month fellowship commences on 1 st July
This Early-Career Research Fellowship is being initiated by the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA), with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, to support a total of thirteen (13) Early-Career Research Fellows to undertake globally competitive research at the ARUA Centres of Excellence (CoEs). The goal is to strengthen the capacity of early-career researchers at African universities by giving them time away from teaching responsibilities at their home institutions while working with very senior and accomplished researchers. Each CoE is expected to host one research fellow from a country other than where the CoE is located.
ARUA has established thirteen (13) Centres of Excellence (CoEs), across various disciplines, to support its vision. These CoEs reflect the current priority areas of ARUA, and they are expected to significantly enhance research and graduate training. Currently, the CoEs are organised as follows: (i) Energy, (ii) Unemployment and Skills Development, (iii) Noncommunicable Diseases, (iv) Inequalities Research, (v) Notion of Identity in Africa, (vi) Migration and Mobility, (vi) Sustainable Food Systems, (viii) Urbanization and Habitable Cities, (ix) Climate and Development, (x) Good Governance, (xi) Post-Conflict Societies, (xii) Water and (xiii) Materials, Energy & Nanotechnology (MEN).
To support the activities of these Centres, ARUA is announcing an Early Career Research Fellowship that is expected to last for a period of 6-months. During this period, prospective research fellows are expected to stay at the hub university of the respective CoE and conduct research related to their existing projects. Successful Candidates may also explore new lines of research with the approval of the Centre’s Director. Prospective candidates are encouraged to visit the ARUA website as well as those of the 13 CoEs to familiarize themselves with their ongoing research projects.
- NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship At National Institute of Genetics
- Zicsaloma Phone Number, Biography, Real Name, Age, Career and Net Worth
- Global Voices Scholarship Program for African Students at University of East Anglia UK
- List of Private Universities in Nigeria & Courses Offered
- West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Timetable for School Candidates
- West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Timetable for School Candidates [Final International Timetable]
- PTI HND & Certificate Programmes admission
- How to Check UNN Supplementary admission form
- Heritage Scholarships at Alvernia University, USA
- Cisco Global Problem Solver Challenge
ARUA views this Early Career Research Fellowship as critical to consolidating the progress made by the CoEs, which aligns with the main goals of the network. ARUA, therefore, seeks to use this opportunity to enhance the relevance of postgraduate training for early career researchers.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Research Fellow
The key roles and responsibilities of the research fellow are as follows:
- Work with other researchers to undertake various relevant studies at the Centre under the guidance of an assigned mentor.
- Write and publish at least one (1) academic paper in high-impact journals, with accompanying policy briefs or blog posts.
- Deliver at least one (1) presentation and participate in technical workshops with fellow researchers and other stakeholders.
- Assist in creating and bolstering new partnerships between the respective Centre of Excellence and other relevant research and innovation units.
- Assist in disseminating research findings for the Centre.
- Applicants must have a PhD and be within 5 years of completing their PhD in a discipline/sub-discipline related to the thematic area of the relevant Centre of Excellence.
- Applicants should be full-time faculty members at an ARUA University,
- Applicants should have a highly competitive track-record relevant to the opportunity (at least one publication in an internationally recognized peer reviewed journal since completing their PhD or evidence of obtaining post-doctoral funding)
- Applicants should exhibit interest in developing a strong international standing and research reputation through international collaborations.
- Applicants must be available to spend 6 months away from their home university and be able to return to the home institution.
- Eligible women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Preference will be given to Candidates who are already working on projects/papers related to any of the focus areas of the ARUA CoEs and need some time off to complete them
Contract and Remuneration
- Successful candidates will be contracted by ARUA for a period of 6-months (July – December . The research fellowship shall provide a monthly stipend of US$2,000, travel and limited logistical support for research. The host CoE will provide the Research Fellow with office space.
To apply for this research fellowship, please submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose, indicating clearly the ARUA CoE of interest (five hundred words)
- Names and addresses of two academic referees.
- Letter of support from applicant’s permanent/home institution
The selection of the successful candidate shall be done by the Director of the indicated Centre of interest in consultation with the host institution’s Deputy Vice Chancellor. Applications should be submitted by email to the Secretary-General of ARUA ([email protected]; [email protected]) not later than 15th May. Successful candidates shall be contacted by May 31st, and expected to begin the fellowship on the 1 st of July.
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.